Wednesday, August 22, 2007

(HBOT 56) Excellent Self-Sensory Regulation

I felt very proud of Jonathan today. All his interventions were put to test today. His daycare/preschool had a yearly act called "Academy Awards". Each room was to perform an act. There are 5 groups (classrooms). I have to be honest and confess that I was very concerned about it since I received the notification. I had even thought about picking him up early to avoid putting him through an uncomfortable situation. But when I talked to his teacher this morning, she reassured me that Jonathan was doing great and not to worry.

I decided to leave work early to attend the ceremony. Few parents showed up. There are about 100 kids in this school and about 40 parents showed up. But I didn't want my kids to feel that their mom was not there. It was important for me to know that my parents were around when I had special/important things at school and I figured it would be the same for my kids. Vanessa is in one group and Jonathan is in another. But both participated today.

When we arrived (my dad and Abuita also came), we sat down and saw the kids come in. Jonathan looked radiant, happy. As soon as he entered, he looked around for me. And the expression in his face when he saw me was priceless. He gave me a kiss and joined the rest of his group. They all sat down on the floor.





Vanessa when she entered the room

As everyone started to enter the small room, I could see Jonathan come and go out of his world. It is his way of regulating the extra stimulation (kids screaming, loud voices, etc.) He did great. He sucked his thumb then let go and paid attention. Then again he would sit quietly, suck his thumb for another minute or 2 and lift his head again and watch the event. I am proud of him for learning how to deal with that particular disability. That tells me that he will be able to absorb more at Kindergarden than what I originally imagined. He will still need prompting when he zones out, but he knows he needs to come back and he is now doing it on his own more frequently.



Jonathan was very curious and paid attention to all the acts

Each room did their act. Vanessa's room sang "Old McDonald Had a Farm". Vanessa was very shy. She is always shy when she is in the spotlight. Jonathan is not shy at all.


Jonathan's group sang and danced "I like to move it move it". Jonathan was great. He was looking at the teacher to imitate and follow her; he looked happy and he enjoyed singing and dancing. I could just see it in his face.

It is hard to tell, but Jonathan was paying close attention to what the teacher was saying


Look as his hands. He is dancing :) He and Vanessa love to dance, since they were babies


The event only lasted an hour. We left, went home, changed and went to the HBOT. We had a good dive. Again at 1.75 ATA. We have been doing 1.75 for the past 4 or so dives.

No comments: