Saturday, March 29, 2008

Liked to Fly a Kite

We are trying to think about activities to do over the weekends that can expose the kids to new adventures and experiences. Today we took them to fly kites.

At first, Jonathan was intrigued to see so many people flying kites. We went with our friends, my dad, and Javier's brother. When we opened the kites, I try to fly one (it has been years and I am rusty). I grabbed one and C. (my friend's 6-year old) held it while I started running to lift it up. All the kids started running after me, but Jonathan could not catch me. So he sat down on the grass and started crying. I was not successful but I was enjoying myself until I saw Jonathan on the floor. I went to talk to him and he told me he was scared because he could not catch me. I hugged him really hard and told him that I was just running to lift the kite up, not running away from him. We went back to where everyone was. He kept crying telling me that he didn't like that place, he didn't want to fly kites and he wanted to go home.

Uncle Hugo came to the rescue and asked Jonathan if he wanted to fly the kite. He convinced him and took him with him. They tried to fly another one, but it was harder. However, Jonathan started to enjoy himself. After a few attempts, they gave up on the hard one but Dad told him that there was a smaller kite that he could fly. And indeed, he did. He was so proud of himself and happy, that it changed the entire dynamic of the day. We later walked around and the kids enjoyed playing and running and Jonathan never mentioned that he wanted to go home again.

One thing I noticed is that Jonathan did not complain at all that he was tired. He walked and ran and played and never showed any sign of tiredness.




No comments: