Thursday, October 4, 2007

Wants to Be SHREK for Halloween

It may seem like such a trivial thing, but Jonathan had NEVER cared to dress-up as anyone. Last year, it was sad for Daddy and me to go costume shopping with him as he didn't care. We picked a costume that he wore. But he didn't know what it was for, he didn't know about Halloween. He enjoyed trick or treating, but we taught him what to say and where to go. He was so much in his world last year. This year, he is so aware of his surroundings.

I got him a calendar with magnets and he put all the day in the calendar yesterday. When he got to the 31st, he came running to me and said "mommy, October 31st is Halloween. We go trick or treat in Halloween and get candy". I know that the Kindergarten teacher is preping them, but the fact that it stuck in his head is great.

Then today we went to Toys R Us to get him a new backpack because his is in bad shape. On our way, I asked him who he wanted to be for Halloween. I honestly expected an answer like "ugh?". But instead he said "Batman". And I asked him why Batman. As he started to answer he said "No mommy, I want to be Shrek". Then Vanessa said "and I'll be Princess Fiona". That was cute. When we got to Toys R Us, he saw the costumes hanging and got attracted to them. Never before. So that was a nice sight for me. He, daddy and I looked for Shrek but nothing. So I tried to persuade him to be someone else, but he insisted that it had to be Shrek. We went to see the backpacks and he didn't like any of the ones they had. It is like Vanessa now. He used to not care, how he had to pick out his on things. Wonderful - stressful for us parents but wonderful.

We then went to Target and they had a nice selection of backpacks. Daddy liked one in particular and I liked another one. But Jonathan didn't like any of the ones that we suggested and he picked a Superman backpack. And he insisted to wear it until we had to pay for it. Vanessa saw a section full of pumpkins and wanted to go there and Jonathan did too. The observed all of the pumpkins and played with the candy bowls that have a hand that moves. At first they got scared with the hands, but Jonathan ended up liking them. Then he saw small balls that look like eye balls and insisted in getting them. When we got to the costumes section, they didn't have Shrek and Jonathan didn't care for any other character.

So I'll have to order it via the Web. And it makes me incredibly happy. Last year when my friends would say "I have to go shopping for XYZ because my son wants just that", I remember thinking why do they bend to the kids' requests? And on the other hand felt a bit jealous and out of place because I could not relate. And although Jonathan is still not behaving 100% age appropriate, he is so close that I can now relate. He doesn't forgot when he asks for things now, just like Vanessa.

One thing that we have not achieved is his interest for regular toys. I showed him pirates and dinosaurs and he simply does not care for them. He wanted another Leapster cartridge, but we told him that no more. Hopefully by this time next year, he will be playing with those toys.

No comments: