Thursday, March 8, 2007

OCD is Better These Days!

The past couple of days, Jonathan has not even asked for his Tecnomerengue music CD. On Wednesday, I received feedback from his teacher at the GMS Institute that he had one of the best days at school since he started last September 2006. His afternoon preschool teachers wrote a couple of notes that he was in a great mood. And today again he was very engaged with Vanessa and us even. And his receptive language seemed better than ever. This afternoon he diverted from playing with toys as he wanted to take pictures with all the digital cameras we have in the house (OCD). But I quickly told him that he could only use his Disney digital camera, he took several pictures of Vanessa and easily transitioned to something else. We played together with some small dolls and did some pretending (I am trying the Floortime method, but it is VERY hard), and did homework and watched the beginning of Over the Hedge together with Vanessa. It was a nice evening. No screaming, or crying.

One of the feedback that we got from the GMS Institute teachers last week was that he needs to do a lot more homework. He really needs to exercise his fine motor skills (writing, painting, cutting, etc.). And on Tuesday, when Jake Greenspan saw him, he could quickly tell that Jonathan needs visual therapy. He does not see what is in front of him. His brain does not process it well. I could tell easily these days as he was screaming for his CDs, yet they were right in front of him on the table. But if I used words to describe where they were, Jonathan could quickly find them. Jake gave me the name of a good visual therapist in the DC area. I will call next week to set an appointment. I need to check if the insurance will cover it or not before we jump on that wagon.

Today, when we did homework, I could tell that (1) he has trouble writing a line from point A to point B if the route is not clearly defined (like a street with lines). If it is faded and he cannot see the path clearly, he cannot make the connection in his brain. The exercise shows the same path 3 times, the first is clearly defined, the second one is faded a bit, and the third one has just A and B and he should use what he learned or could even see from the ones above because the brain is able to fill in gaps. But he can't. This action of filling in the gap is usually a function of GABA (a substance produced by the pancreas). I am supplementing it, but I think I need to add some more. And the same thing happens to the language. (2) The second item I noticed is that his posture to cut paper is not appropriate. Even though I have been taking him to private OT and the GMS does OT, he is having trouble here. He spent over 20 minutes cutting a piece of paper. It is good to see it now before his Kindergarten IEP. That way I can really fight to get an OT for him (that is if we decide to send him to Kindergarten instead of holding him back. Whichever way, he needs more work in all these areas: OT, Sensory, Visual, Auditory, Fine and Gross Motor skill).

Other than that, I am pretty happy with his behavior these past 2 days. He has been a little hyper, but he is detoxing (I am pretty certain he is). I also think that he needs extra yeast herbs. I will buy some tomorrow.

1 comment:

Bea said...

I am so happy for you that Jonathans OCD is better and that he had 2 great days!!!!!!
Wow there is so much to work on with our little guys. What a marathon!!! but it is so worth it if you have such great days. Keep up the great work!!!!
Bea