Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Summer Camp

Jonathan started a new summer camp yesterday. Before we arrived, I talked to him about it and he was happy and prepared. He told me that he was not going to cry, he was going to play with the other kids and listen to his new teacher. A conversation that was strange to have since I had never before been able to rationalize this way with him. When we arrived at the school, he walked into his classroom, told the teacher "are you my new teacher? Is this my new class?" When she responded yes, he turned to me and said "ok mommy, you can go now. " And gave me a big smile. That was great. Only 2 months ago we tried to take him to our Gym's daycare for an hour so we could exercise, and he would have meltdowns. So it is incredible how quickly he has matured.

They went to a water park today and Jonathan liked it very much. When I got home and asked him, he told me that he had a very fun day. I asked him why he didn't eat his lunch, and he said that because he was in the water and didn't want to come out. Again, this is awesome that he is able to respond so well to a question of a past action. Something that he was not able to do very well or at all in the past.

When Tio Hugo and Tia Michelle came to visit tonight, Jonathan stopped playing with the PlayStation and ran to see his uncle and play with him. They went outside and played with a bubble making machine that Tio Hugo brought them. They had a blast. They also played a lot in the playground. Today for the first time I noticed that Jonathan was able to swing on his own. I am not sure if he learned that during the past month or so at his OT lessons or simply developed the instinct. He was so confident. It was great to watch.

At bedtime, I told him to turn off the TV and playstation because it was bedtime. He was compliant, but slow. So I turned it off. He, jokingly and with a smile in his face, came after me and said: "mommy, I am going to kick your butt", and kicked me gently. It was very funny. Vanessa came to rescue me and told Jonathan not to kick me. Very cute. I am not going to encourage the kicking but it was the first time I had ever heard him say that, it was very appropriate (people want to kick other people's butt when they are upset with them).

Jonathan and Vanessa have become an inseparable team. They play really well together.




Jonathan giving Vanessa the ping item because "pink is for girls" and he is a boy and wanted the blue one.

No comments: