Sunday, May 17, 2009

6 Rounds and Well

We started his 6th round of the low dose high frequency DMSA/ALA chelation this weekend. Jonathan has actually shown some nice progress in the past couple of weeks, mostly in comprehension and memory. But it is hard to say if it is due to the Neurofeedback sessions he had (he completed 40 sessions and we stopped 2 weeks ago), the new homeopathic drops (which miraculously stopped his throat tic) and the DMSA/ALA chelation. Or a combination of all.

The DMSA/ALA seem to aggravate this leaky gut. His stools are well formed but they have small white dots only during the weekend while he is taking the pills. But I don't see any sulfur related issues. I was worried to give him DMSA with ALA because of his nutrigenomics genetic mutations. But, aside from the extra yeast, he is doing quite well. We (my dad, my husband and I) have been incredibly disciplined to give him the pill every 3 hours. We have not missed a dose yet.

I am planning to try a new probiotic that was recommended by one of the autism groups that I belong to. It is called In-Liven.

Jonathan's motor skills are concerning me. He is having a hard time with physical activities: riding a bike, skating, climbing, even running. He gets tired very quickly. But the other issue is that any activity that requires him to use his arms to help him, he simply quits on. Climbing is such an issue. He has a terrible time pulling himself up. He doesn't seem to have strength in his upper body. I believe part of the issue is that he is too heavy. He is 7 and weighs 75 lbs. But he likes to eat (and not junk precisely) and changing the diet to low carbs would be very hard. It is better to get him to become more active. For the summer, we enrolled him in sports camps. I need to find a solution to this problem. The new school he is going to attend in the fall will have tons of physical activities which I hope will help him build his strength.

No comments: